Simple Tips to Renovate your Bathroom
I have had my hand in plenty of remodels that didn’t go as planned. Sometimes it’s the contractor’s fault, sometimes it’s the homeowner’s fault and sometimes it depends on choosing a reliable supplier. Whether the homeowner doesn’t calculate details right or the contractor over schedules their time, mess ups can occur. Most remodels that I have been a part of include bathrooms. And because I have watched clients become frustrated, I have taken mental notes for to do’s and not to do’s. Below are a few tips that I have if you are ever thinking of remodeling your bathroom:
- Stick to a specific plan. Don’t change your mind halfway through the project. Before ripping out the first tile, think hard and long if this is really what you want to do. Think about what materials and fixtures you want, and how much you’re willing to spend. Luxury tile companies like Porcelanosa have an array of tiles and fixtures to help any plan come to fruition, no matter your style.
- I always say lighting makes or breaks a space. Same goes with the bathroom. Prioritize lighting and you will love your bathroom!
- Use the same footprint and you will save thousands of dollars! You’ll also cut down on the dust and debris that make remodeling so hard to live with. Not taking walls down also allows you to invest in new shower columns which are easy to install and instantly changes a room.
- Save on labor costs by doing some of the work yourselves. Painting is something most anyone can commit to. You can also contribute to the finish work, like hanging towel racks etc.
- Splurge on your tile and save on your toilet. Or find something to save money on and then splurge on the visual items like tile, flooring or lighting. The Barcelona tile collection is the perfect example. It’s gorgeous, stylish and will literally transform your space in minutes! If you think about it, tiles are a long time investment, they usually stay longer than fixtures or lighting, so make sure you choose them right!
Have a blast when remodeling your bathroom and think outside of the box! If I were you, I would design around patterned tile and create an eclectic, beautiful space. Remember, be proud of what you design.
Come back next month on the Porcelanosa blog, as I share more home décor tips and tricks!
Kirsten Grove has always had a passion for interior design. Simply Grove is Kirsten’s creative outlet for all things aesthetically beautiful. Started in 2008 as a way to show off eye catching design and decor from all over the world, Simply Grove has become a hang-out for like-minded creatives with a love of interiors and an appetite for design eye-candy. You will also find Kirsten featured in publications and sites like MarthaStewart.com, Better Homes and Gardens, Lucky Magazine, RealLiving Magazine, Elle Decor.com, HGTV.com and Design Sponge to just name a few. She was also named by Saveur as Editors Choice for best Design Blog and has been a speaker at Alt Summit 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015.