Porcelanosa New York Hosts Clients for the America’s Cup Race
On Saturday May 7, Porcelanosa invited 60 clients and guests to celebrate the return of the America’s cup race for the first time since 1920. On a yacht provided by Classic Harbor Line, guests enjoyed a light lunch and cocktails while participants geared up for the race in the New York Harbor. Porcelanosa’s boat lined up with more than 75,000 other spectators across the harbor to witness the event. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough wind in the harbor to conduct a proper race, so the race did progress but was deemed a “substitute race”.
The New York event is an historic milestone of sorts. America’s Cup racing was held in New York harbor and environs for 50 years, representing the first 13 challenges for the oldest trophy in international sport. From 1870 through 1920 racing took place from New York. Beginning in 1930, the competition was moved to Newport, Rhode Island, where it remained until the United States finally lost the Cup in 1983, ending the longest winning streak in sport.
The trophy was originally awarded in 1851 by the Royal Yacht Squadron for a race around the Isle of Wight in England, which was won by the schooner America. The trophy was renamed the America’s Cup after the yacht and was donated to the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) under the terms of the Deed of Gift, which made the cup available for perpetual international competition.
Photos by Douglas Holt